221   338
145   309
136   268
139   282
141   289
152   346
103   238

What are the Baby Essentials for 0 – 3 months?

What are the baby essentials for 0-3 months

As a first time mum I wish I knew what baby essentials I would have needed for my baby, instead of thinking I needed everything that’s recommended online! Then I sat down and gave some thought and asked myself what really were the essentials I needed for the baby during 0-3 months. I came up with this list and I can say the things that I recommend here are what I actually needed and were lifesavers. These should definitely be considered essential if you’re due a baby anytime soon. Also, if your due date is coming up and you haven’t packed your hospital bag yet, don’t worry, check out my post on what I packed for inspiration here!

This list doesn’t cover the basic essentials like bottles, soothers, nappies etc as everyone knows that those are needed.

Baby Night Lamp

I didn’t think we needed to buy the lamp until the day I came home with Ayra from the hospital. We already had a lamp in the bedroom and thought that should be fine to use. But we had a nightmare that night as the lamp we had was too bright for her and lit the entire room. So, we needed to find something else which actually dimmed the light in the room.

I spent the next morning researching the best night lamp for babies and found the VAVA Baby Night lamp. The reason why I chose this lamp was it had four different light settings going from bright to dim. Plus it had great battery life of up to 80 hours before needing charging again. The dim setting was perfect for Ayra as it wasn’t disturbing and was enough to keep an eye on her.

You can find the VAVA baby night lamp here

JoJo Maman Bebe Sleepyhead Deluxe

I didn’t have this on my list as I thought it was just the new trendy thing to have and didn’t need as we had the moses basket. It wasn’t until I was gifted it and tried it out that I realised. Wow – I never realised newborns could sleep so peacefully which obviously resulted in a peaceful nights sleep for me.

It has become such a staple that I was putting Ayra in the Sleepyhead on the sofa, in the bedroom and when visiting family. It provides the same consistent level of comfort wherever you put it so babies can have a peaceful nap, wherever.

The Sleepyhead Deluxe have advertised that it can be used for up to 8-months. However I found that Ayra started getting uncomfortable at around 2 months due to the lack of space.

You can find the Jojo Maman Bebe Sleepyhead here.

Baby Sleeping Bag

This is a must have as I was constantly confused whether Ayra was feeling hot or cold. When she was just a few weeks old, the hot weather decided to make an appearance which made her really restless at night. I was unsure whether I should remove layers, put the fan on or open the window. Plus i had no idea how to regulate her temperature. So I ordered a sleeping bag with a 1.5 tog as there are different togs for spring/summer and autumn/winter. I also ensured that it was 0-6 months as the sizes range.

Another main reason to buy a sleeping bag was that there is a risk of the blanket covering her face. So, it was much safer for her to wear a sleeping bag to sleep. I recommend these are brought for each age, for example I will be buying one for 6-12 months. Remember that the tog changes each season too, so I’ll be getting a 2.5 tog for Winter.

You can find the baby sleeping bag from The White Company here.

Baby Play Mat

Ayra started playing in the play mat at around 8 weeks and it was really good to keep her occupied for around 20 mins while I did the hoover or cleaned the kitchen. After 10 weeks she could grab the toys on the mat so it was nice to see this leap of development too. It is also one of the sensory toys for babies.

You can find the baby play mat from Argos here.

Baby Humidifier

When Ayra was a few weeks old she started getting sniffles and a friend recommended I get a baby dehumidifier. I’m so glad I did as it didn’t just help with the sniffles, it also helped a lot during the summer months to absorb the moisture from the air. Plus, it’s supposed to help during the colder months too, where it releases moisture into the air so the temperature of the room is always regulated.

You can find the baby humidifier from Amazon here.

Baby Monitor

I don’t think I need to explain why a baby monitor is needed but I found it really handy when Ayra would be asleep upstairs and I could keep an eye on her while being downstairs. Plus, this one is handy as it has a battery saving mode and lights up when there is any noise.

You can find the baby monitor from Amazon here

What do you think were/are the baby essentials for 0-3 months for your newborns?

Share:

22 Comments

1. September 17, 2020 / 4:09 pm

I bet it can be really overwhelming to try and work out what you really need with a baby and what is just being sold to make money, this is going to be a great help to first time parents.

• mehrshares
      Author
      September 18, 2020 / 12:15 pm

That’s true. As a first time mum I just went ahead and brought lots of things. Will be more the wiser for next time 🙂

2. September 18, 2020 / 9:57 am

Some excellent tips and advice, as we had more kids we learned what was more essential than others, this will help people great work.

• mehrshares
      Author
      September 18, 2020 / 12:14 pm

That’s amazing! Was there something in particular that you thought was really good for all your kids?

3. September 18, 2020 / 10:23 am

Having worked in a baby shop, I came to realise what items were essentials and which were luxury items. I’d definitely always recommend the sleepyhead because so many parents have had great results with it.

• mehrshares
      Author
      September 18, 2020 / 12:13 pm

Yess that’s right. The sleepyhead has been a lifesaver for me 🤣

4. Rhian westbury
    September 18, 2020 / 11:18 am

i don’t have kids myself, but if/ when I do I think I’d feel quite overwhelmed with all the things online that it says you need/ should have so this is a great overview guide x

• mehrshares
      Author
      September 18, 2020 / 12:13 pm

That’s right! Online recommendations can be an overload of information sometimes. I’m glad you like my guide

5. September 18, 2020 / 4:47 pm

A sleeping bag was always an essential with us – the kids slept so well in them and the safety element made them a must.

• mehrshares
      Author
      September 19, 2020 / 2:54 am

I agree! It gives you that peace of mind too

6. michelle twin mum
    September 18, 2020 / 8:49 pm

I think it is interesting to see what people consider an essential for their baby. When mine were tiny there were very few essentials, except a pram, car seat and Moses basket. Mich x

• mehrshares
      Author
      September 19, 2020 / 2:53 am

Yes that’s right

7. September 18, 2020 / 10:54 pm

I think the first thing we purchased was the Baby Monitor as we always kept both ours in a separate room and never co-slept with them. Also The Humidifier is God sent as it does help babies sleep soundly when they are unwell

• mehrshares
      Author
      September 19, 2020 / 12:37 pm

Ahh yes that’s right! Humidifiers are well worth their price!

8. September 18, 2020 / 11:55 pm

I am not a parent yet but I am sure most new mums will love to know the essentials instead of buying everything and not using the items.

• mehrshares
      Author
      September 19, 2020 / 12:37 pm

Yes they would! Thank you!

9. Valerie
    September 19, 2020 / 5:01 am

There are so many different products for babies now. They didn’t have most of these things when my boys were small, these could be helpful for a new parent or someone shopping for a gift.

• mehrshares
      Author
      September 19, 2020 / 12:37 pm

So true!

10. September 19, 2020 / 3:36 pm

This is a great skit for a newborn. I had a basket cot which was a Godsend at that time. Playing mat is also an essential as well as baby bouncer. Love those moments, cherish these moments. Mine is 15 now.

• mehrshares
      Author
      September 19, 2020 / 7:53 pm

Awww so true! I brought a baby bouncer but my daughter never sat in it for even a day 🤣

11. September 20, 2020 / 8:50 am

Our essential was a combined baby monitor and nightlight, it shone stars and played lullabies, my son is 5 and we’ve only just stopped using it as he loved the stars

12. September 21, 2020 / 12:56 pm

A baby sleeping bag and a baby monitor are a must for me. Mine all had the same playmat and now its been handed down to my grandaughter