Now that I’m 39 weeks pregnant and will be going into labour any day soon I thought it would be a good idea to pack my hospital bag ready for labour and the birth and put together my hospital bag checklist.
Yep, I know – it should have been packed many weeks ago but it was something that was half packed and I needed a few final bits before I could say that the bag is now packed and ready to go. The NHS recommends that your hospital bag should be packed three weeks before your due date.
Personally, I think hospital bags should be packed according to your needs but some things should be included in each and every bag as they will definitely be needed. I’m super organised and I love creating lists and then mini lists under those lists etc, so I thought it would be a good idea to create two lists – one for things the baby needs and one for what mama needs so that I don’t forget anything. Also, I’m not sure how common this is but my husband had a bag packed for himself too which was full of snacks! Your birth partner might also want to bring some books and magazines to keep them occupied during quieter moments.
Remember to pack your hospital notes and birth plan and have your car seat installed in the car before you leave for the hospital. It’s probably a good idea to do this as soon as possible before your due date so you don’t get caught out. Here’s my hospital bag checklist – feel free to use this as inspiration for your own.
– 3/4 newborn vests and sleep suits
– 2 newborn hats, booties and scratch mittens
– Newborn nappies and cotton wool – midwives recommend cleaning the baby’s bottom with cotton wool and warm water for the first few days instead of using wipes as their skin is super sensitive
– Baby blanket
– Muslin cloths and bibs
– 2/3 loose shirts for labour/nursing
– 2/3 pairs of maternity leggings and pair of slippers
– 2/3 comfy supportive bras – nursing bras and breast pads if you’re planning to breastfeed
– pack of sanitary pads or maternity pads
– Toiletries bag – for toothbrush, toothpaste, cleanser, hairbrush, hair ties, deodorant, moisturiser, lip balm (make up if you think you’ll feel like it!) etc.
– Phone charger – you’ll need your battery for taking lovely photos of the baby
– Going home outfit – nothing special, I just packed a comfortable t shirt and leggings
– and lots of high energy snacks!
Do let me know in the comments what you packed in your hospital bag or would recommend packing?